Monday, November 2, 2009

The Earring

The Earring
Oil on Canvas
50 x 40"

So this is the painting I posted as an underpainting a while back. I tried really hard not to lose that energy in the markmaking that I loved so much. It was hard because I've been working on wood for so long, and then painting on canvas again is completely different. I primed it 6 times, but it was still more absorbent than I wanted it to be. I'm torn now, because I like the texture of canvas, but I like my paint to slide around on the surface more than my canvas will allow. Perhaps I just need a finer weave? If anybody has any suggestions, please let me know.

4 comments:

Diane Greene said...

What kind of primer do you have on your canvas? i find that an oil primer, preferably lead, is a much better surface for paint application.

Shelley Hocknell Zentner said...

I use Utrecht Gesso, which is water based. I was humming and harring in Utrecht about which way to go, and eventually went with the salesperson's suggestion of water based. He claimed there was no difference! Thanks for your suggestion.

Diane Greene said...

I think if you try oil-based you will be pleased. You can even get oil primer and prime over your water-based canvasses, so you don't have to waste them.

Shelley Hocknell Zentner said...

Excellent! thankyou so much Diane.